Sunday, August 29, 2010

Adventures in Archeology

We put on our walking shoes and hiked to a Shoshone rock art site in the Birch Creek valley.  It was a beautiful day.  We got permission from a rancher to cross his land to see it.  Ancestors of the Shoshone Indians traveled through this valley frequently.  They camped, hunted, and painted some interesting pictures on the rocks here.
Indiana Crenshaw and his daughter
cold desert

The Girls

This is my great grandpa Pehrson sitting in front of the same rock art panel in 1930.  We didn't make the connection until after we got home and compared photographs.  Amazing!

Did you see this one?  Pictographs were often done with mineral or plant materials or a combination.  Sometimes animal fat was used in the paints.
This was a rare opportunity so we took a lot of pictures.

The grass was pretty tall in some spots.  C. found some good rocks.


I think I can fit in this crack.

mud bird nests above

deer
bear paw symbol

Counting?
6 people
bison
(This shows that the rock art was done before 1880's because the buffalo were mostly killed off by then.)
pronghorn antelope
(I usually see a lot in this valley, but not this time.  I guess they know hunting season is coming.)
hands
shield motiff with bird
fish
Climbing expert

I'm on top of the rock!

Ooh, this rock is orange.
Scott did.

Grammy Goose


Further up the valley we found the old mining ghost town of Gilmore.  There are many lead/silver mines in this area.  We drove through it on the way to go fishing/picnicking at Meadow Lake. 
Back in the day
Gilmore miners

Mercantile store, granery, and another building in Gilmore
fixer-upper

Gilmore from above
Staying Warm by Meadow Lake

Waiting for a bite

C. trying to catch fish in her net

Rainbow Trout
If we stayed on this trail we would find a rock glacier and another lake.
Not a kid friendly bridge.
spring water that feeds Meadow Lake


Caption Contest

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Celeste is so lucky to get to go on such fun adventures! We always love to look at photos from your outings!

Katrina said...

I love the three girls picture, it will become famous like another ancestor in front of pictographs picture.

I have adventure envy.

Darcie said...

I love visiting the the indian pictographs. I haven't done that in so long! thanks for the reminder that they are there. I will have to take my kids soon. And Meadow Lake looks beautiful this year! Another place I have not been in recent years. I need to start getting my kids exposed to all the fun things Celeste gets to do! They would love it!

Unknown said...

That looks like a cool adventure. I too am envious. In the picture of you pointing to the pictographs, there is a shape like a... squid? cloud with rain? I'm not sure what that could be. Celeste is just the cutest with her tiny pigtails. It's cool that your mom is as adventurous as you are. She is in great shape! Wish her a happy birthday. Someday we'll have to join together with you guys on adventures.